You, as a business owner, know that you have to do your best to ensure the safety and integrity of your store. You are required by law to take safety precautions for your employees and customers. However, you also have to make sure your customers are comfortable and safe. Safety is a smart business decision. There are many ways to protect yourself and your guests. However, the easiest and most cost-effective way to do this is to place high-quality flooring mats in high traffic areas, such as entrances and exits. According to the National Flooring Safety Institute, slip and fall injuries account for most shop-related injuries and for the majority worker’s compensation claims. Employers can lose a lot of time and money on worker’s compensation claims. If a client or customer is hurt, it will also cost them money and time.
Small businesses can be shut down by a bad slip or fall. Slip and fall can not only result in financial loss, but it could also cause an increase in your premiums. Because slip and fall injuries are very common, business owners must ensure that the floors are safe and accessible for all. Door mats can be a great way to reduce slip-and-fall incidents on your premises. For example, a high-quality, water-absorbent mat can stop moisture from the outside like rain, snow, and/or sleet from reaching your shop floor. This will prevent potential hazards. You and your staff will be able to save valuable time by keeping dirt and other debris, such as from foot traffic, off your storeroom floor.
However, there are some caveats to doormat safety. A doormat can only be safe if it remains where it was placed, covers the area intended, is sufficient to handle the foot traffic it receives, and is kept clean. Mats made from low-quality materials are unsightly and can wear out quickly. They can also pose a greater risk than bare floors. It can cause slippage or even re-positioning of the mat, which could lead to slip- and fall accidents. This problem can be solved by purchasing high-quality Logo mats. They grip the floor well and won’t move. The best doormats will have been designed in a way that is tested and proven to be resistant to slippage, even under extreme moisture or foot traffic. This equation has two parts. First, you need to choose a mat that is strong and resists slippage. Proper care of your mat is the second.
Purchasing Non-Slip Door Mat
A doormat can be purchased almost anywhere. In fact, they can even be bought at a “dollar-only” store. You can be sure that you get what you pay. If someone slips and falls in your business, the cost of a doormat could end up being thousands. You should not put your customers, employees and yourself at risk by purchasing a low-quality mat. These are the four essential features to look for in a high quality doormat.
- Slip resistance certification. Manufacturers of doormats that have been thoroughly tested by the National Floor Safety Institute (NFSI), can receive slip resistance certifications. These mats have been thoroughly tested and verified to be compliant with the NFSI’s stringent standards for safety in floor mat design, construction and quality. This certification is only given to mats that have met the highest standards of manufacturing.
- Optional backings Doormat backings are not the same size. You will need a different type for doormat backings if you have a hard-surfaced, concrete, wood or tile floor than you would for carpeted floors. A cleated rubber backing works best for carpeted surfaces. The cleats can grip carpet fibers without damaging them. This grip helps the mat stay in place.
- Quick-drying surface. It doesn’t matter if your floor mat is able to grip the floor below it. It should be easy to dry and have a pattern that allows for foot traffic to move over it without any slippage. It should be fast drying in order to prevent slips and falls on the mat’s surface if it gets wet. WaterHog mats are a great choice for quick drying entry and exit mats. They are made with a water-dam border, which traps water and then sends it beneath the mat’s surface. This technology prevents water from standing on the mat’s surface and keeps it as dry as possible. These mats dry extremely quickly, making them safe for use.
- Resistance to mold and mildew A floor mat can also collect the same slippery mold and mildew as in your shower pan. The chances of your mat sliding are greater if this happens. It is a smart investment to prevent mold and mildew development. A mat that resists this can last longer than mats that are susceptible.
You should take extra care to make sure your doormats are working properly if you have already bought them. You should inspect your mats every so often to ensure they are in good condition. If they fail to pass inspection, you will need to take the necessary steps to fix, restore or replace them. To prevent your mats from sliding, here are three tips.
- Regularly clean your mat. High-quality commercial mats are durable and can last for several weeks without needing to be cleaned. They are resistant to dirt and dry quickly. They will eventually need to be cleaned in order to keep the fibers clean and allow them to continue their work. To properly care for your mat, make sure to refer to the care instructions provided by the mat manufacturer.
- Make sure your flooring is in tip top condition. It is important to maintain your matting clean and unaffected. However, it is equally important to make sure the flooring underneath the mat is in good shape. It can be easy to overlook the condition of the flooring beneath large doormats. Your doormat may slip if water collects on the floor. It is important to take your doormat off the floor and clean underneath it every now and again.
- Mat pads/backings. You will rarely need mat padding or backing if you buy a premium doormat. If you want to move an older mat around until you receive a new one, you can place a rubberized mat backing underneath it or spray it with grip adhesive to hold it in place. However, mat backings are not effective in keeping commercial doormats in place for long periods of time. A quality mat is the best way to prevent a doormat sliding. The mat’s quality is what will keep a doormat from sliding. Slippage will be impossible with a poorly made mat. You can be sure that a commercial mat has been tested and certified by the NFSI to resist slippage.
Proper doormat care is crucial to ensure safety and integrity. A mat that is heavily stained will not perform as well as one that has been cleaned properly. You should also inspect your mats for any damage, standing water, mildew, mold, or other issues. Ultimate Mats can help find the right doormats for your office to keep it safe and hazard-free.