Do you have a desire to learn metal detecting? This guide will help you choose the right metal detector for you. It also includes information about the top 20 detector tips, how to get started, and the best types of detectors. Even if your detectorist skills are advanced, you might learn something new about this fascinating hobby.
Before we get into the details, let’s take a look at the inventor of the first commercial handheld metal detector.
FIRST COMMERCIAL MATETAL DETECTOR FOR GOLD AND TREASURE
Gerhard Fischer, a man from Germany, created the first portable and handheld metal detector. This name may sound familiar to those who are already interested in metal detecting. Here’s a quick overview for those who haven’t heard of him.
Dr Fischer (spelled Fisher today) was a German immigrant who lived in California, USA. Fisher Research Labs, the oldest metal-detecting company in the globe, was founded by Fischer from his garage. He and his four colleagues developed the first patented metal detector: the Metallascope. Dr Fisher quickly became a popularized M-Scope user and soon he and his small team moved their garage production line to his first factory.
Dr Fisher was passionately involved in metal detectors. However, his main drive was also to produce high-tech electrical products like Geiger counters radio communication systems and voltage detectors.
In 1967, Dr Fisher was retired and Fisher Research Labs was purchased by First Texas Holdings Corporation in 2006. They are one of the most prominent manufacturers of metal detectors. Their brands include Teknetics and Bounty Hunter.
MODERN-DAY METAL DETECTORS
Since their inception, metal detectors have advanced a lot. Technology is continually evolving and new manufacturers are entering the market. This means that the quality, depth, and accuracy of metal detectors continues to improve.
Metal detecting is becoming lighter and more efficient today. They also have many features that make it a hobby everyone can enjoy.
WHAT ARE THE MOST FAMOUS METAL DETECTORS USED TODAY?
There are two types of metal detectors: Pulse Induction metal detections (or PI), and VLF metal detects, which stands to Very Low Frequency. Let’s start with VLF metal detectors.
VLF MTAL DETECTORS
VLF metal detectors operate at lower frequencies than Pulse Induction metal detections. For VLF multi-purpose metal detectors that can find the best gold detector, these frequencies are typically at 6kHz or higher for treasure hunting and coin detectors.
Since their inception, VLF metal detectors has come a long way. VLF metal detectors of today are the ones you’ll see on beaches, fields, and parks searching for lost coins, jewellery, and other treasures. VLF metal detectors have a long history of treasure and coin detection. However, you will often see people using them on beaches, fields, and parks to search for old coins, jewellery, and other lost treasures .
HOW DOES VLF METAL DETECTORS DO THEIR WORK?
VLF metal detectors use a two coil detection system to detect objects. The signal is sent out by one coil and received by the other coil. The sender coil is the first. It pushes the signal out into the ground, creating a magnetic field that reacts to metallic objects below the surface.
The magnetic field creates a current when it finds a target. This current is picked up by the receiver coil. The receiver coil transmits the signal to the control box, which amplifies it. You can also hear it through headphones or a built in speaker.
Nearly every modern VLF metal detector features a large LED display screen. This displays a number that relates to the type and location of your metal target. This feature is very useful as it allows you to see exactly what you find and not rely solely on your ears.
PRIMARY ADVANTAGES FOR VERY LOW FREQUENCY METAL DETECTORS
A VLF metal detector has many benefits. We have listed some of the most important benefits below.
- VLF metal detectors can be cheaper than PI detectors, and they can save you thousands of bucks.
- VLF metal detectors weigh less than PI metal detectors. They also require fewer battery packs, so they are lighter and easier to use.
- VLF metal detectors are more energy efficient than PI metal detectors. This means that you can detect longer.
- Interference: VLF detectors are less sensitive to electrical interference than PI detectors. This makes them quieter and easier control.
- Sensitivity: VLF detectors are more sensitive to small targets making them easier to detect. If you use a suitable VLF metal detector for gold, this includes small nuggets of gold.
- Discrimination: It is a great advantage to be able cut out or distinguish unwanted targets like junk and old iron, which can help you save valuable time digging.
- Identification: VLF metal detectors often come with On Screen Target ID, which allows you to quickly identify your finds.
- Versatility: VLF metal detectors can be used in many different ways, such as for beach detecting, finding coins and relics, gold, jewellery, and so on.
WHAT ARE VLF METAL DETECTORS’ DISADVANTAGES?
- Some VLF metal detector models may not be suitable for gold detection.
- VLF metal detectors may be sensitive to ground mineralisation or hot rocks found in certain gold fields.
- VLF metal detectors cannot detect as deep as PI metal detectors.
VLF metal detectors, which can be summarized as follows, are the most cost-effective, versatile and user-friendly type of metal detector available.
PULSE INUCTION METAL DETECTORS
PI detectors (or Pulse Induction detectors) are mainly used for people who are only looking for Gold detectors. They can detect high levels of mineralization and hot rocks in iron rich ground. They can be more expensive than a VLF metal detector due to their power.
HOW DOES PULSE INUCTION METAL DETECTORS DO THEIR WORK?
Pulse Induction metal detectors use one coil to send and receive signals, unlike VLF metal detectors which use two coils. The coil sends signals into the ground in random bursts, or pulses.
These pulses of high current flow outwards, creating a magnetic field. The magnetic field changes as you sweep the detector, changing the current flow and sending it back up to coil between each pulse or burst.
The control box receives the signal and amplifies it.
This is a continuous cycle that repeats while the detector is powered up.
ADVANTAGES FOR PI METAL DETECTORS
- Gold Detection: The PI metal detectors can be used to detect gold and are a great choice for anyone who is only interested in the subject.
- Depth: VLF metal detectors are not as deep as PI metal detectors.
- Mineralization: PI metal detectors excel in iron rich, highly mineralized ground. They are not as sensitive to Hot Rocks which have high iron levels. They are also less susceptible to saltwater minerals than VLF metal detectors. This can reduce the noise caused by mineral detection.
DISADVANTAGES – PULSE INUCTION METAL DETECTORS
- VLF metal detectors are more affordable than PI metal detectors.
- Limitations: PI metal detectors can be great for finding gold but they are not good for treasure hunting, such as for coins, jewellery, and relics. This is because they cannot distinguish between different metal types.
- Identification: They don’t have On Screen Target ID, so detectorists will need to rely on sound for identification
- Difficulty: The PI metal detectors should not be used by beginners as they can be difficult to use.
- They are heavier than VLF detectors, and can be more difficult to use for some people.
- Interference: Metal detectors with PI are more susceptible to interference
HOW DO YOU CHOOSE ABOUT A VLF METAL DETECTOR OR PULSE INDUTION DETECTOR?
It isn’t as difficult as you might think to determine if you require a VLF or PI metal detector. It all depends on the type of metal detector you are looking for and your budget.
A PI metal detector is the best choice if you want to focus on only finding gold and aren’t restricted by your budget. A VLF metal detector is a great tool for finding smaller gold nuggets.
A VLF metal detector is the best choice if you are looking to Metal Detect on Beaches and find old coins, relics, jewellery, treasure and gold, and don’t want to spend a lot of money.
Make sure that you choose the right VLF metal detector for your needs. A Multi Purpose VLF metal detector is the best choice if you are looking to detect all of the above.
We now know that PI detectors are used to locate gold. Let’s look at the various VLF metal detector classes and their uses.
What is the best metal detector for beginners? How do you choose one?
There are many models of Beginner Metal Detectors. So how can you choose the best one for you?
If you’re looking for a metal detector that is suitable for beginners, the first thing you should consider is whether it is intended for an adult or a child.
It is important that the best metal detector for children is light and easy to use. Many Entry-Level Metal Detectors come with pre-programmed settings that can be used for various target types. This is great for kids who are just starting out in metal detector hunting.
If your child enjoys getting into more technical stuff, there are metal detectors. These are simple to use and allow them to adjust their internal settings to match ground conditions.
TOP METAL DETECTORS KIDS
- MINELAB FIND 22 METAL DETECTOR
This metal detector is extremely easy to use and packs a powerful punch for its class. Turn it on, choose your target type, and you’re good to go. The Minelab Go–find 22 is a great starting detector for anyone, regardless of their metal detecting experience. It doesn’t need to be used in conjunction with any other metal detectors.
- BOUNTY HUNTER JR TARGET ID METAL DETECTOR
The Bounty Hunter Jr Target ID metal detector is designed for children aged 5 and older. It’s a simple and fun detector that will help your child get a basic understanding about metal detecting.
Although it’s bright and colorful, the Jr Target ID is not a toy. The Jr Target ID is bright and cheerful, but it has very advanced technology. Your child will have hours of fun finding some cool things.
- BOUNTY HUNTER TACKER IV
The Bounty Hunter Tracker IV metal detector is a classic design that’s also powerful enough to be used by adults, teens, and older children. The simple analogue display allows you to adjust settings easily to suit different ground conditions.
It has three detecting modes: All Metal, Tone, and Full Discriminate, so it can be used on almost any terrain.
- TEKNETICS DIGIITEK METAL DETECTOR
This metal detector is for teens and older children. It’s powerful but easy to use. This detector is ideal for finding coins, relics and jewellery in parks, fields, camping, and dry sand.
Although it is very easy to use, this metal detector is loaded with tons of features that will help improve their metal detecting skills.
- MINELAB VANQUISH-340 METAL DETECTOR
This multi-frequency metal detector is ideal for both teens and adults. The Minelab Vanquish 340 metal detector is easy to use and powerful. It can handle any terrain, including beaches, parks, fields, and scrub.
It has a user-friendly interface that allows you to select the target type you want and then go. You can also adjust the settings to suit your needs.
You have watched the TV shows and YouTube videos, and you now want to discover your own hidden treasures. You aren’t sure which metal detector you should buy. We can help you. We’ve compiled a list of the top beginner metal detectors.